By David Hill
Kaiapoi’s draft town centre plan, water management, building strengthening, the next steps in the development of the multi-court stadium and sustainability were among the items discussed by the Waimakariri District Council at its meeting on Tuesday, July 3.
Councillors approved a public consultation process to consider the draft Kaiapoi town centre plan, which will take place in August with the final plan expected to be adopted in October.
Business and centres manager Simon Hart says the previous Kaiapoi town centre plan was prepared in 2011, in the wake of the September 2010 earthquake, which identified 32 key projects and 26 of those have already been completed.
The new draft plan sets goals for the development of the Kaiapoi town centre over the next 10 years, including implementing aspects of the Red Zone Recovery Plan.
Environment Canterbury’s (ECan) North Canterbury zone manager, Andrew Arps, and Waimakariri Zone Committee chairman Dave Ashby presented the zone committee’s annual report, updating the council on the efforts to develop a zone implementation plan to the Land and Water Regional Plan.
Mr Ashby says the zone committee is continuing to meet with its farmer reference group to develop workable limit reductions and timeframes.
“We are going to have an impact on farming because the environment is important and we have to be moving in the right direction. But it has to be workable.”
The council voted not to proceed with proposed strengthening work to the Oxford Jaycee / Museum building, but it will go ahead with plans develop a new entranceway and new toilets.
Community and recreation manager Craig Sargison says Oxford Museum volunteers have been consulted and it was found there was “a bigger risk” in damaging the exhibits if they were moved for the strengthening work than the potential risk in a seismic event.
Work on the entranceway and toilets is expected to cost $125,000, with the museum contributing $15,000.
Mr Sargison advised Warren and Mahoney have been engaged to complete the detailed design of the $27.85 million multi-court stadium, which was signed off in the council’s Long Term Plan last month.
The final design is expected to be completed by the end of January, when the building work will be tendered out. The stadium is scheduled to open in September 2020.
A project steering group has been formed to oversee the project, including councillors, council staff, the quantity surveyor and representation from the North Canterbury Sport and Recreation Trust, which will manage the facility on behalf of the council when it opens.
Councillors also approved a proposal by staff to develop a corporate sustainability plan with Mayor David Ayers as “project champion”.